All happiness depends on a leisurely meal … Check This Amazing Recipe: Beef and ale stew
How to Make Beef and ale stew
less than 30 mins
over 2 hours
- 3–4 tbsp groundnut or any flavourless oil
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery
- 400g tin good-quality plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp flour (seasoned with ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 500g/1lb 2oz diced braising steak
- 500ml/17fl oz pale
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole over a medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery and fry for 4–5 minutes, or until softened but not browned.
Add the tomatoes, black peppercorns, bay leaves and thyme and cook, stirring regularly, for 3–4 minutes.
Stir in the seasoned flour and cook for 2–3 minutes.
Add the beef, then pour in the pale ale and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 3 hours, stirring every 20–30 minutes, until the beef is tender enough to be cut with a spoon.
Serve in bowls with thick slices of fresh bread, or on plates with mashed potato and green vegetables.