Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are … Check This Amazing Recipe: Dry curry of cabbage, carrot and coconut (Thoran)
How to Make Dry curry of cabbage, carrot and coconut (Thoran)
less than 30 mins
less than 10 mins
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 dried Kashmiri chillies
- 30g/1oz (or 6cm/2½in) fresh root ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 250g/9oz hispi or pointed spring cabbage (or spring greens
- 2 carrots
- 2 fresh green chillies
- 100g/3½oz fresh or frozen coconut
- boiled basmati rice
Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan or karahi set over a medium heat, and, when hot, add the mustard seeds followed by the curry leaves, cumin seeds and dried chillies. Stir for about 30 seconds, then add the ginger paste, turmeric, salt and black pepper and fry for 30 seconds.
Stir in the cabbage and carrots and cook, covered, over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, adding a splash of water if they start to stick to the pan.
Stir in the green chillies and coconut, heat through for a minute and serve. Serve with rice and poppadoms.